Sunday, June 28, 2009

I'm what you'd call 'approachable.'

I live in the city of Waterville in the great state of Maine. I usually get a lot of laughs when I refer to Waterville as a city. If you came from a place where the animal population vastly outnumbered the human population, you'd consider Waterville a city. (Although in my old neighborhood, the feral cat population reigned supreme before the foxes moved in...)

Ahem. I live in the micropolitanistic city of Waterville. I am two minutes from the city lights of downtown. The opera house is a mere stone's throw away. There are five bars within walking distance. The local grocery stores are a half-an-hour journey. All of my needs can be fulfilled by taking a short walk. (And I didn't even mention the cafes and craft stores and chinese food restaurants.)

I walk everywhere. During these constitutionals, I stumble across many familiar faces. Most of the time these people don't recognize me or merely nod and look away. Today, while on a coffee run, a familiar face stopped me and we conversed.

Scene: Old Rite-Aid parking lot.
Woman - (goes out of her way to walk up to me) "Where do I know you from?"
Misty - (winces at end of sentence preposition) "I used to work at Tim Hortons?"
Woman - "Oh... well, no, that's not right. Do you live around here? In town, I mean."
Misty - "Yes, I'm over on Silver. I walk everywhere."
Woman - "That must be it then! I know I've seen you around! What's your name?"
Misty - "I'm Misty. And you are..."
Woman - "Dee."
Misty - "It's nice meeting you, Dee. I'm sure you'll see me around again. Have a nice weekend!"
Dee - "You too!"

And that was that. I wish I could say this was an isolated incident, but people come up to me all the time. My only pet peeve is when drivers ask me for directions when I'm crossing six lanes of traffic on a crosswalk. It's happened twice. I guess I suffer from supreme approachability. I can't say I mind it all that much, except when people are trying to approach me with their cars. I'm an entertainer and I love meeting new people and interacting with individuals from all walks of life.

Regardless of my approachability, people should stop asking me for directions. I get lost in the shower and frequently confuse the words 'left' and 'right.' Does that sound like a person you should trust directing you to the hosipital? :P

No comments: